Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Day After

November 1st has a lot attached to it. Halloween is over, there's multiple piles of candy and chocolate in various places around the house. Those are good things. Especially when the kids are still young enough to share their candy without them knowing. But you know what else November 1st means? Christmas is coming.
Yup, after Halloween there's nothing in the way between now and December 25. No buffer, no protection. The stores will decorate, if they haven't already, the commercials will start up, and plans will be set in motion for just how to spend the upcoming festive season. Ugh.
Sure, in the states they've got Thanksgiving still before Christmas, but really, those two holidays are both so big and so close together, they're almost the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. Watching the kids get so excited, putting up the tree, snuggling up with the wife and glass of eggnog while we listen to Christmas music by the fireplace. The problem is, that accounts for about 2% of the actual holiday experience. The rest is shopping for everyone and their dog, overspending on stuff no one really needs, travelling hundreds of miles to see family and then wishing you'd just stayed home.

Christmas is coming. Someone get me a rum 'n eggnog. Hold the eggnog.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

and let me start by saying....
Jingle Bells
Jingle Bells
Jingle all the way..
Oh what fun it to drink for and en.... tire day! Oh...

Jingle Bells
Jingle Bells....

Jenny said...

and if you look at my spelling mistakes.. it looks like I've already beaten you to the eggnog!

Poetsch Family said...

I agree. Too much stuff. We should all just enjoy our time together, not worry about spending money on things we really don't need.

Leanna said...

Will u hate me if I told u I am basically done my Christmas shopping? I figure November is our break between holidays but the drinking can start at anytime!!

Anonymous said...

Reminded me of a joke I heard today.

On halloween what did one meth addict say to the other meth addict?

"Only two sleeps 'til Christmas"